March 13, 2020
Dear Calhoun County School Community,
Governor Justice has announced that public schools will be closed at the close of school today, Friday, March 13, for as long as we have to close them. In accordance with this decision, Calhoun County Schools will be closed from Friday, March 13 until Governor Justice openings schools again.
Calhoun County Schools (CCS) has been continuously monitoring the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) to help develop prevention and precautionary plans. The education, health, and safety of our students, families, and community is our number one priority. In an effort to help prevent the spread of the disease, we will be taking the following precautions:
Beginning the end of the day, Friday, March 13, 2020, Calhoun County Schools campuses will be closed for students until further notice. All employees will report to their work location on Monday at 8:00 a.m. Cooks report at 6:00 a.m. To prepare breakfast and lunches to be delivered. Bus drivers report to the Board Office with their bus at 7:30 a.m. All custodians will work dayshift. A brief meeting will be held at 8:30 a.m. at each location to discuss the plans. Employees are not permitted to bring children or guests.
- Governor Justice has asked that ALL schools in WV close for ‘as long as we have to’.
Health and Safety Precautions:
- Frequent handwashing
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wear a facemask if you are sick
- Cover sneezes and coughs
- Wipe down surfaces frequently with a bleach solution
- Additional custodians to assist with cleaning
Activities Held At The School:
- No activities will be held at the school during the closure. This includes school-sponsored and community events.
- Events at the schools have been cancelled until further notice. This includes events such as parent socials, award ceremonies, celebrations, etc.
- Save the Children Play groups have been cancelled until further notice.
Sports And Extracurricular Activities:
- All Spring sports events and practices have been canceled until further notice. At that time, we will revisit the cancellations. Athletes will need to have a total of 14 practices before games/competitions. WVSSAC officials will assess the situation again once students return to school.
- No off-campus practicing may take place.
ASPIRE Afterschool (21st Century Learning):
- After-school classes have been canceled until further notice.
- All field trips have been canceled through until further notice. Consideration will be made at that time regarding rescheduling or canceling.
- Student meals will be delivered on a three-hour delay to regular bus stops. Students and caregivers must be at the bus stop to pick up the meals. Two meals will be delivered at one time each day.
- All state events are canceled until further notice.
- Regional Social Studies Fair-cancelled until further notice.
- Any IEP, EC, lack of progress meetings that are scheduled will be rescheduled once a “return to school date” is known.
- All Save the Children Home visits will be postponed until further notice. Early Steps Coordinators and VROOM Ambassadors will make other arrangements to provide resources or assistance via phone or other electronic communication. There will be no home visits or playdates on or off-campus.
- A decision will be made next week regarding availability and hours.
- Snow Packets Days 1-5 will need to be completed next week. Day 1 will be due on Wednesday, March 18th.
Packets may be returned at the respective school between 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. or picked up or dropped off during meal delivery times.
- Additional information will be provided about packets.
- All trainings/conferences sponsored by the WVDE have been postponed/canceled until further notice.
The Board of Education work session (4:45 p.m.) and the regular meeting will be held on Monday, March 16, 2020, at 5:30 p.m. at CMHS. Student recognitions will be postponed.
We would like to thank you for your continued patience, flexibility, and understanding as we move forward. OneCall telephone calls will be made to families as updates become available. Please also monitor Facebook school and County pages and staff emails for continued updates.
I appreciate your support and understanding as we navigate these unknown waters. Guidance from the WV Dept of Education has been that we will not be making these days up as long as we are working. This is a very fluid situation that has literally changed almost every hour today. I am providing updates as soon as I have information. Your principal will have additional information to share during the staff meeting. By working together, we can continue to support and help our students. Thanks, Calhoun County Schools